On May 2, 2015, the Brooklyn Chapter of Jack and Jill America Inc. will host a Casino Royale Benefit Gala. Jack and Jill has chosen DIVAS for Social Justice to be one of the recipients of the proceeds from the event. Tickets can be purchased at the following link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jj-brooklyn-chapter-casino-royale-benefit-gala-tickets-14591749315 The event will take place […]
News & Events:
IGNITE: Women Fueling Science and Technology is a global campaign and media project from Global Fund for Women that explores the roles of science and technology in advancing gender equality. IGNITE features stories of women and girls who are leading and innovating in science and technology, highlights the gender gap in technology, and advocates for women […]
DIVAS for Social Justice recently launched a new mapping project, Perspectives of Alcohol in East New York. This project is in partnership with, The Partnership for a Healthier NYC, The Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, Arts East NY and The BCCP. Executive Director, Clarisa James, recently wrote an article featured in the BK Reader about the […]
What Our Participants Say
– Bed-Stuy Patch - http://bed-stuy.patch.com/articles/divas-for-social-justice
DIVAS For Social Justice is helping to educate the young and the elderly about the advancing technical world.
– Otilia Rowe, DIVAS alumna on her first week of Imaging Ourselves Photography program
The pictures came out so cute and we had so much fun that day! Can not wait for next week.
– Olga Sanchez, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Shirley Chisholm because she showed women they can be anything they want.
– Shalaun Nelson, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty to the Environment
The photo reveals it’s true identity which is a statement to me as a human. The imperfection of the rose reflects my truth in being me.
– Jada Martin Capers, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty to the Environment
My favorite color is pink. This collage also represents me because of my personality. I am very bright and observant. They say I get it from my mom.
– Ryan Sardinha, DIVAS alum - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Lia Neal because she set an example for African American women all over the world.
– Aliah Gilkes, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty with the Environment
Standing out to others,
Uplifting to people when they are down,
Pink, because I am bright and stand out,
Pretty, because it attracts other people.
– Fatima Fuentes, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty with the Environment
Personality wise, this flower represents me because the flower has many branches sprouting from the center much like myself. From the core, my personality branches out with many emotions.
– Ericka Sanchez, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Lena Horne because she didn’t let anything stand in the way of her dreams.
– Ashley Benjamin, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2013: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Elsie Richardson for many different reasons. Ms. Richardson emerged as a human rights fighter for Bed Stuy.