DIVAS (Digital Interactive Visual Arts Science) for Social Justice, a New York City based organization has launched Laurelton.nyc in conjunction with the Mayor’s Office of Innovation and Technology .Laurelton.nyc serves as an online community news outlet to encourage inter-generational citizen journalism. The community members of Laurelton will serve as contributors to Laurelton.nyc. DIVAS for Social Justice […]
News & Events:
DIVAS for Social Justice is seeking cross-generational entrepreneurs for its remixed program, DIBS (Digital Inter-Generational Bridges to Success). Five years ago the organization developed the program to bridge seniors and youth with technology and build relationships by using digital photography as a medium. With the explosion of STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) based programs now […]
What Our Participants Say
– Bed-Stuy Patch - http://bed-stuy.patch.com/articles/divas-for-social-justice
DIVAS For Social Justice is helping to educate the young and the elderly about the advancing technical world.
– Otilia Rowe, DIVAS alumna on her first week of Imaging Ourselves Photography program
The pictures came out so cute and we had so much fun that day! Can not wait for next week.
– Olga Sanchez, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Shirley Chisholm because she showed women they can be anything they want.
– Shalaun Nelson, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty to the Environment
The photo reveals it’s true identity which is a statement to me as a human. The imperfection of the rose reflects my truth in being me.
– Jada Martin Capers, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty to the Environment
My favorite color is pink. This collage also represents me because of my personality. I am very bright and observant. They say I get it from my mom.
– Ryan Sardinha, DIVAS alum - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Lia Neal because she set an example for African American women all over the world.
– Aliah Gilkes, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty with the Environment
Standing out to others,
Uplifting to people when they are down,
Pink, because I am bright and stand out,
Pretty, because it attracts other people.
– Fatima Fuentes, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2011: Connecting Beauty with the Environment
Personality wise, this flower represents me because the flower has many branches sprouting from the center much like myself. From the core, my personality branches out with many emotions.
– Ericka Sanchez, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2012: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Lena Horne because she didn’t let anything stand in the way of her dreams.
– Ashley Benjamin, DIVAS alumna - Imaging Ourselves 2013: Women of Bedford Stuyvesant
I admire Elsie Richardson for many different reasons. Ms. Richardson emerged as a human rights fighter for Bed Stuy.